Oxford & District Labour Party are recruiting a new local organiser. Please find the job specification and details of how to apply below. If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description and Person Specification
Oxford & District Labour Party – Local Organiser
Job Title: Local Organiser
Responsible to: Anneliese Dodds MP and the Chair of Oxford and District Campaign Committee
Location: Oxford Labour office in Cowley, Oxford
Oxford & District Labour Party is looking for a local organiser, working from our well-equipped campaign centre in Cowley. We have a strong and energetic local party, looking to build on our majority in the 2020 Oxford City elections, make gains in the 2021 County elections, as well as being ready to win the General Election as soon as it comes. The post will initially run until June 2020 with the possibility of extension. The post will require some evening and weekend work in order to lead campaigning sessions.
- Working with the MP, councillors, candidates, CLP officers, members and supporters to build support and win elections, specifically upcoming local elections in 2020 and 2021 any council by-elections which may occur, and the General Election as soon as it comes.
- Organising fundraising and managing campaign budget and expenditure, including organising events and dinners and working with the CLP Treasurer and Fundraising Officer to keep costs down
- Production and distribution of mailings and newsletters using our risograph machine, outsourcing where budget allows
- Recruitment, motivation and management of volunteers
- Organising all aspects of our election campaigns including literature, campaigning, budget, expenses, nominations and the count
- Working with the campaign agent to submit election expenses
- Managing Oxford Labour’s social media presence on Facebook and Twitter with the CLP Social Media Officer and maintaining the website.
- Leading campaigning sessions across Oxford, usually on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings, and empowering and facilitating local teams to campaign independently
- Making targeting decisions in relation to campaigning using canvassing and other data on Labour Party programs such as Contact Creator and Insight
- Aiding the Party Secretary with the organisation and smooth running of All Member Meetings
- Any other tasks as specified by the local Campaign Committee and Executive Committee
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to draft e-newsletters, website items, and communicate across a range of audiences
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail including the ability to organise campaigns and events
- Strong interpersonal skills; create working relationships with candidates, elected representatives, local members, and affiliated groups
- Able to manage a large workload with conflicting priorities and pressures
- Ability to use initiative and solve problems independently
- IT skills including ability to use Microsoft Office programmes, and readiness to use Labour Party Tools such as Contact Creator, Organise, the Doorstep App and Promote.
- Design skills – able to produce good quality Labour Party literature
- Able to build social media campaigns; creating content, building audiences, and tracking effectiveness
- Ability to motivate, work with and lead a wide range of people
- Ability to work on own initiative and run an office
- Experience of campaigning for the Labour Party in recent elections
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Experience of event organisation and fundraising
- Knowledge of Labour Party organisation and Labour Party campaigning techniques
- Comfortable using Adobe Software – especially InDesign and Photoshop
- Experience of setting up and using (or familiar with) Facebook Business accounts
- Experience of securing local media coverage
- Experience of creating and maintaining a website using WordPress
The deadline for application is Friday 5th July. To apply please send a CV and covering letter, detailing how you fit the person specification, to email@example.com with the subject line Organiser Application, followed by your full name. Please also indicate details of two referees on your application (references will be taken up before appointment). Please keep Friday 19th July clear for interviews in Oxford.
The post will initially run until June 2020 with the possibility of extension.
Start date will be discussed with the successful candidate, ideally ASAP but later start dates can be facilitated
Salary will be £24,596 pro rata 4-5 days a week (national pay award pending).